Sunday, November 21, 2004

when the first notes of "Vertigo" hit my radio station I thought to myself, 'this is one CD I have got to purchase'. I've been a fan of U2 for going on 20 years and I have never been as excited as I am about this CD. Here the group is returning to the power and unique sound that has been the trademark of the group.

I remember buying "Pop" becoming aware that this is rather disappointing, I supposed it was only part of the wrong turn the group did with the 'Zootropia' tour and subsequent releases. As you know 'Zootropia' was a sort of parody they wanted to play on themselves and the pop culture world in general. But somewhere along the way the parody became themselves and they became rather self-absorbed. I disliked "Pop", in fact of the various Cd's I own, it may be the least played of them all.

Part of my faith was renewed with both the 1980-1990 'Best of.." and later "All that you can't leave behind". It was as if they were coming out of the wilderness and reminding themselves what made them one of the great rock bands of the ages. Now with "How to dismantle an Atomic Bomb" they come back with a vengence and a relevance that seemes to have been lacking. Here we have the vocals and lyrics of Bono, the unique guitaring of The Edge and the back up play of Larry Mullens and Adam Clayton. They are here to say, 'we are not parodies of ourselves, we are still U2'. The styles of the CD do go from the classic hard Rawkin' Vertigo to the soft ballad style of 'Some Times you can't make it on your own'. We must never forget there has always been a sensitive side to the group. They are introspective as well and this a good part of the mix. Perhaps they thought we needed to catch our breath after 'Vertigo'.

But rockers they are and the end the CD with a rock song 'Yahweh', a reminder that this is a band with a conscious and one that plays rock.

Enjoy it, you deserve to.

Peace

No comments: