Tuesday, June 29, 2010


Sunflowers


This past week, Space had the episode "Vincent and the Doctor". It deals with an encounter the Doctor and Amy had with the great Post Impressionist painter Vincent Van Gogh. It's a great episode and if you haven't seen it, why did you miss it. It features an alien, of course, but more then a Doctor vs a Monster, it gives some truth worth considering. As well, it has a lot of Van Gogh's paintings. Plus a cameo by Bill Nighy, what more do you want? The final scene was Amy looking at Vincent' famous still life of sunflowers and she sees it has been dedicated to her.

Although in the episode, Van Gogh wasn't impressed with the Sunflower, feeling it was far too complex, he certainly caught on if his artwork proves anything:



My purpose for this blog is not to discuss Doctor Who, that's coming up when this season is over, but I thought I'd write about sunflowers. It's one of those plants I enjoy growing in the gardens. It's impressive when you plant a little seed in the ground and given enough time, water and soil it becomes this massive plant that stands over 2 metres tall.


I've had a few growing in all my gardens, after all, it has to be the kings of the garden, simply by its size and impressive yellow colouration. It's bright yellow flower so speaks of summer, and the fact it follows the sun makes it the perfect plant for the season.

This year, I've decided to be different. Instead of the classic yellow, I've gone for the Prado Red Sunflower.

So far they have been growing well:




As you read its a fast growing plant, and today I noticed that they may be close to blooming.





I'm looking forward to see the bloom take form.

I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I also enjoyed that episode, which I thought was possibly the best 11th Doctor episode yet.

Good luck with your sunflowers.